Building GWT application with ease
Current Version: 0.6b (Beta stage)
|File: gwtclassrun.doc (< 300kb)
Use browser’s Save As, then renamed file to gwtclassrun.exe
(Renaming required as WordPress.com does not support upload of exe file other than doc and some supported media format.)
How many times have you wish that you can easily run any EntryPoint class in a GWT project as easy as a Java class with Main method in a IDE ? How many times you realize you can be more productive testing a certain EntryPoint class but shrug off it off due to non-intuitive steps to make it happen ? Finally, the wait is over and a effective solution has been delivered by a nifty utility, gwtClassRun.
gwtClassRun is a useful utility for GWT under IDE that makes switching EntryPoint class as easy as 123. gwtClassRun is a standalone desktop application that works with every IDE, non-intrusive and occupies just a small estate of the development environment. Its purpose is to simply automate the cumbersome manual work of editing a GWT gwl.xml configuration file through a EntryPoint tag whenever a EntryPoint class needs to be tested. The application offers a intuitive and flexible interface to make the change. The developer just need to select the desired EntryPoint class either from a dropdown list or use a real-time quick-search function that support AND operation to quickly select the desired class. Once change made, all the developer need to to is to rerun or reload the Hosted Mode/Web Browser, and the new EntryPoint class will be reflected.
Won’t including EntryPoint’s method (equivalent to runable main method in Java class) in GWT class result in bloated code ?
gwtClassRun in Action
gwtClassRun is uncluttered and its simplicity beguiles its usefulness. All the functions are available through dropdown menu buttons. It is a application that stay on top of the screen so that it can be used anytime during development. It occupies a small part of valuable development estate. It is not plug-in, therefore it works very well with any Java IDE.
gwtClassRun is a perfect partner with GWT Hosted Mode browser. It works in tandem with it, and when user select the desire EntryPoint Class and refresh the browser, the change will be reflected.
Instantly switch EntryPoint Class with gwtClassRun, and then refresh Hosted Mode to see the latest change.
Overall, gwtClassRun makes EntryPoint class switching easier and efficient:
- Eliminate error-prone manual editing of gwt.xml, eliminate the possibilities of entering the wrong class path.
- Quickly change EntryPoint class through point-and-click interface, or through quick-search function.
- Through quick, fast and ease of Class switching, it encourages developer to be productive by writing more EntryPoint class.
- Works with every IDE. No need for plug-in for IDE.
- It is free. Hence cost nothing but provides value proposition.
How it works
Just create a GWT application in IDE as normal. Use gwtClassRun to create a project and then tell it what source files to use.
Tell gwtClassRun the information about your GWT application setup. This only need to be done once for each GWT application.
Update the EntryPoint Class
Whenever, you add a EntryPoint class that you want to test, just Update gwtClassRun and it will automatically update its project database. No need to manually enter EntryPoint class, just let gwtClassRun does the rest of work.
Switch EntryPoint Class as easy as 123 !
Now comes the fun part. To test any EntryPoint class in your GWT project, just enter ; (for All EntryPoint classes) on the Search box, and a list of classes will be presented, just click on one, and change will be made to gwt.xml file immediately. Just run or refresh the Hosted Mode browser, and new change will be shown. Too many class files ? No problem ! Use gwtClassRun’s instance search function. Just type the class name, and as you type, it will filter the list, highlighting the keyword in red. Need serious filter. No problem again. gwtClassRun support AND boolean filter. Just add ; between keywords. Find out what you want ? Just press enter or click on selection. That’s it ! That’s how easy gwtClassRun is !
Now watch the video …Vodpod videos no longer available.
Now if what shown so far make you excited about gwtClassRun, why not just download it and see for yourself. It’s free and useful. Start making your day productive in developing GWT application now .
OS: Windows XP, Vista
Runtime: Java SE 6 (JDK/JRE 1.6 & above) http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
Java IDE , GWT 1.4 & above
gwtClassRun is virus-checked and doesn’t contain malware. Aside from using the internet for its help system currently, it does not access the web in any other way for its functionality.
1) So if you want to try this beta and experience how useful it is, just click on the following link to download. Will appreciate if you report any problem with the beta version in here.
2) After download rename it to gwtclassrun.exe (WordPress only supports storage of certain file types of which exe is not one of them hence renaming is required) and then run the file. The installation will guide the user on the steps.
Note that it is not recommended to install the program under <Program Files> directory under Vista due to substantial change and stringent security of Vista (UAC) which might cause problem to gwtClassRun (eg creating file under the ‘special’ directory requires special permission of some sort in Vista).
3) Congratulation on using gwtClassRun. It will be highly recommended to work out the tutorial and read the User’s Guide as its contain all the information you ever need to master gwtClassRun effectively in shortest time possible.
gwtClassRun doesn’t use third-party installation but rather a simple plain installer created in-house.
Before installing, check that the requirement is meet. User can download the latest JRE/JDK 1.6 from
User then proceed to select a directory. A gwtclassrun directory will be created as subdirectory of selected installation directory.
If for any reason that gwtClassRun does not meet your expectation, you can just uninstall it.Un-installation is just as easy to as its installation.
1) Just go to the directory where gwtClassRun is resided and issue the following command in the DOS command line.
A message will popup and asking for confirmation. This step just remove the association of the program with the registry (Note it is not Window Registry but Java own registry system).
2) The next step is to delete the directory manually by the user.
3) Yap, that’s all to it about removing gwtClassRun. The final optional step is to enter some comment of why you un-install gwtClassRun and perhaps offer some suggestion that might help to re-like it .
To move gwtClassRun to another directory
1) Move all the files of gwtClassRun to desired directory.
2) Issue the following comand in Dos command line.
and click to confirm its new location. Yes, that’s it. It’s done.
|More posts on
Proposal for GWT improvement that motivates development of gwtClassRun
Developing gwtClassRun as a IDE plug-in
Logo design and naming of gwtClassRun
Hope you enjoy using gwtClassRun as much as I enjoy creating and using it.
More updates on gwtClassRun will be available on home blog (www.geekyware.com)
This page has the following sub pages.